baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:13:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Now, having gotten an alternate xserver installed and configured, and
having installed Opera, I have a problem getting Opera to run. When I
issue the command Opera in a terminal, I get the message: "call to
xquerycolors failed: falling back to black/white display." In theory I
could then use Opera in black and white, but the window that pops up is
actually all black.

There were patches for neomagic in Xfree86 3.3.5 X_SVGA and later.

See:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-May/010500.html and related postings:

In BL3 I had a similar problem using X_SVGA with Trident and S3 cards, or X_S3 with S3, but BL2 worked with the X S3 server (but not Xvesa with S3). "Opera displays black on black with the X_SVGA server in BL3".

Maybe the later XFree86 3.3.6 fixed the VESA part of X_SVGA so it would work better with these and also the neomagic chip.

I found a broken link to a libc5 version of Xfree86 3.3.5.

There is a neomagic X server that might work better than the SVGA one

http://linux.maruhn.com/cat/X11/XFree86.html (Linux software directory)

XBF-neomagic-libc5 Binary-only X server for Neomagic on libc5 systems
(also available for glibc, and i740 for both libs).

Click the above link to reach a page with a link to a README.neomagic at Redhat on how to install the server and another link to the actual tgz file (1999 840K). You may need to edit XF86Config.

ftp://ftp.forth.org/pub/Linux/Libretto/XBF-neomagic-libc5-1.1.0-1.i386.tgz
ftp://ftp.braz.ru/pub/unix/x11/neomagic/XBF-neomagic-libc5-1.1.0-1.i386.tgz
(I downloaded from this first site, did not check the second).

I still cannot find X binary for i810 even glibc. The link in the archives was broken.

I googled this error and noted that another BL user had the same problem
and that he also had installed an alternate xserver. Seems like either
something is missing or else Opera is attempting to use some part of Xvesa
that doesn't work on this laptop. Any ideas?

I presume you mean X_SVGA not Xvesa.

James