baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:57:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Ron wrote:

I presume that you have followed the instructions on how to
install Opera in BL3 ?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/opera.html

Yes, I followed those directions. I can't say I followed them in the exact
order they stand in on the page: somehow, both times I tried this, I
installed glibc and misc-libs, then Opera. That is to say that I
overlooked the other library upgrade, x-libs, only realizing after I had
installed Opera and it wouldn't run, complaining about a missing file
(libXex-something?), that I hadn't yet installed the x-libs package. It
was after installing that, then trying to run Opera that I got the
xquerycolors error message and Opera's attempt to start in black and white
(which ends up being black on black on this monitor). I doubt doing the
installation in a slightly differing order could cause the problems I'm
seeing: don't you?

If you are short on disk space you can omit most of glibc and parts of these other library packages (just install the few parts actually used by Opera - ldd opera). You can at least remove the man pages for glibc.

I did try the Neomagic xserver Sindi pointed me to. It does give a much
nicer display than the xsvga xserver. But it does not solve the
xquerycolors error message and the black on black window Opera attempts to
start in. I'm coming to the conclusion that Opera cannot be expected to
run on any alternate xserver under BL 3.5. Not sure what I'll do about
this: I really do need a capable graphical browser like Opera on this
machine.

I will test glibc neomagic with opera if you don't beat me to it.

Can you install BL2 on a separate small partition with just the minimum files needed to run Opera and chroot to it when you need Opera? I used to chroot from BL2 to BL3 to use Abiword. Then you could still keep the nice jwm menu for use with everything else (however you would need to exit X in BL3 before using it in BL2).

In addition to what ldd lists, you need libresolv and libdns to access websites. And a window manager (icewm works well and lets you operate Opera via keyboard).

Or would straight BL2 work for you?
Sindi

Any further suggestions? I like the way BL 3.5 runs on this machine. But
for this important browser issue, it does seem like the right OS for this
hardware.

James