baslinux - Re: [BL] new laptop: need help with 2 initial problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new laptop: need help with 2 initial problems
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:39:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I got the target laptop to which I've been discussing installing BL 3.5
over the last few days. I've run into 2 initial problems I'd like some
help with: 1) whether there is a lilo package I can download and install
to the laptop; and 2) how to get the gui working (Xvesa appears
incompatible with this Neomagic 2160 chip).

Copy lilo from the 2-floppy BL3 somehow (on a computer with floppy drive).

Make your own lilo.conf and put files in /boot. See the archives (I summarized how I did it).

You can upload lilo to your webspace and download it again if you have no other way to transfer files (such as USB drive or zip drive or transfer cable, or network cable or wireless networking or CD-R....). Or get it from Slackware 4.0 lilo package over the net or from CD.

I did a little reading in the archive but the solution to this Neomagic
video problem is not entirely clear to me. I think this will require
installing Steven's no-xvesa package: is that correct? Another thing I'm
unsure of regarding this is whether any other package(s) from Slackware.

xsvga.tgz, no-xvesa.tgz

Thanks,
James