baslinux - Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:38:36 -0800

Steven, Sindi, et al,

The 3c59x.o module brings back a screen-full of error messages. Sorry not to have included them here, but I had trouble piping to a capture file (have to sharpen up there, too). In any event, I am reminded of why at one time I had accumulated one or more of the good old 3c509 network cards. Regrettably, they have disappeared. However, I believe I can obtain another through a retail warehouse of recycled computer parts here in Seattle called RE-PC. They have bins full of nics and I can adopt a trusty 3c509 for one declining U.S. dollar. I have been down this road before, and recall that the 3c509.o module installs flawlessly with the 3c509 nic. Meanwhile, I am Googling for other 3Com modules, especially since some of my old machines have 3c905 chipsets directly on their motherboard.

Regards,
Asahel

On Nov 15, 2007 9:59 AM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
Message from Steven
===================
Asahel wrote:

> I am using BL 3.5 in its two-diskette manner, not
> hard drive, and now have 3c509.o on floppy that
> I copy to /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc/3c509.o.

Sorry, I though you were running BL3 on HD, not floppy.
If you're loading from floppy, don't bother putting the
module in /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc.  Simply insmod it
from the flopy.

> I then perform the insmod 3c509 with standard output
> like this:
>
> insmod 3c509
> using /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc/3c509.o
> insmod: init_module: 3c509: Device or resource busy

Oops, that could be the wrong module for your card.
Sindi suggested a different module (3c59x) in her
recent message.  Try that one.

I assume you are using an ordinary desktop computer
with an ISA or PCI network card.  PCMCIA network cards
(for laptops) use different modules.

> So the resource is not necessarily busy? The device is?

When you insmod the wrong module for the card,
it doesn't get the appropriate response.  It
often interprets this as a "busy" NIC.

> As I hate bothering the mailing list with such
> basic stuff

It's no bother.  That's what we are here for.
If the 3c59x module doesn't work (or if you need
any other help), please don't hesistate to ask.