baslinux - Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 01:23:48 -0800

Steven,

NICs here are physical pci 3c905 cards on some machines, and motherboard ethernet chipsets reported as 3c905 on others.

I studied up on how to redirect stdout and stderr messages.

With files 3c509.o , 3c59x.o, and output.txt on a separate floppy, I typed for module 3c509.o:

/<#>insmod /fd/3c509 1> /fd/output.txt 2>> /fd/output.txt

File /fd/output.txt then read:

Using /fd/3c509.o
insmod: init_module: 3c509: Device or resource busy

For module 3c59x.o:

/<#>insmod /fd/3c59x.o 1>> /fd/output.txt 2>> /fd/output.txt

File /fd/output.txt then read:

Using /fd/3c59x.o
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_set_power_state
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_register_driver
insmod: unresolved symbol __release_region
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_free_consistent
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_enable_device
insmod: unresolved symbol alloc_etherdev
insmod: unresolved symbol cpu_raise_softirq
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_restore_state
insmod: unresolved symbol __out_of_line_bug
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_alloc_consistent
insmod: unresolved symbol zone_table
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_unregister_driver
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_enable_wake
insmod: unresolved symbol softnet_data
insmod: unresolved symbol __request_region
insmod: unresolved symbol irq_stat
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_save_state
insmod: unresolved symbol ioport_resource
insmod: unresolved symbol do_softirq

So I'll continue to search for 3Com driver modules for the machines with motherboard integrated ethernet, and probably purchase 3c509 cards for the machines without integrated ethernet.

Hope I have explained everything adequately.

Many thanks,
Asahel

On Nov 17, 2007 5:25 PM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
Message from Steven
===================
Asahel wrote:

> The 3c59x.o module brings back a screen-full of error messages.
> Sorry not to have included them here, but I had trouble piping
> to a capture file (have to sharpen up there, too).

I suggest you do the insmod inside an xterm and then
use the mouse to cut/paste the text into a file.

> In any event, I am reminded of why at one time I had
> accumulated one or more of the good old 3c509 network
> cards.

Isn't your current NIC a 3c509?  Or have we got our
wires crossed?