baslinux - Re: [BL] Clarity rgdng Opera in BL3?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Clarity rgdng Opera in BL3?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:15:34 +0000 (UTC)

"Locales not supported on X server" is normal for BL with Xvesa and opera.

Well then, here it was not the BL3 standard vesa xserver.

Call to XQueryColors() failed.
Falling back to black/white display"

Video chip is an ATI Mach64.

What does it say on the chip? Mach64 is a chip set (set of chips that use the same driver, at least in linux). Rage 3D (LT) Pro and GX and XL are Mach64, among others. X probably does not differentiate and uses the same driver for them all (unlike Windows, which insists on a large download of a different driver for each chip or even card).

I successfully used for this chip, the xma64 xserver as found at
<favorite Slackware mirror>/slackware-4.0/slakware/x1/ , precisely as
recommended at the
BL3 'How to Replace Xvesa' page at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/xvesa.html
In 'Step 3: Configure the Xserver', I consistently went by
recommendations to stick to 800x600 throughout the entire XF86Config
file.
No ill effects seen until the above message when running Opera x.xx as
either the wrapper binary or otherwise.

You could check out the server on a few other X-based programs and then if it works with them, report to Opera bugs. (First check their bug list).
With the name of the specific ATI chip.

Does Xvesa work properly with Opera? The SVGA X server? Steven can explain how to switch back and forth from X to Xvesa by editing his startx script.

To switch between different regular X servers you need to redo a symlink to X.

/usr/X11R6/bin/X is a symlink to /var/X11R6/bin/X which is symlinked on my computer to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA (in BL3.40 and BL2.1 - I did not add an X server in BL3.50).

You can simply pkg the SVGA X server and it will create this symlink, or:

cd /usr/X11R6/bin
ln -sf XF86_SVGA X