baslinux - Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:29:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hello,

I am using BL 3.5 in its two-diskette manner, not hard drive, and now
have 3c509.o on floppy that I copy to
/lib/modules/2.2.26/misc/3c509.o. Thanks, Steven. I then perform the
insmod 3c509 with standard output like this:

insmod 3c509
using /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc/3c509.o
insmod: init_module: 3c509: Device or resource busy

I think that tells me that I do have a
/lib/modules/2.2.26/misc/3c509.o module, and I consider that progress.
Nothing is said about permissions, so I believe I am alright in that
respect. Is the resource (3c509.o) busy, because it is loaded into
RAM? Actually, I get the same results when I mount the floppy with
3c509.o on it and specified its path, like so:

insmod /fd/3c509.o

So the resource is not necessarily busy? The device is?

3c509 is an older ISA 3COM card. Try 3c59x for your PCI 3C905.
I know this is confusing.

'device or resource busy' appears to mean you don't have that device.

If 3c59x works, you can copy it to the second BL3.5 floppy disk and insert it from there. Steven left about 50K free space on it for such purposes, and 3c59x.o is about 25K.

As I hate bothering the mailing list with such basic stuff, I believe
I will have to learn to browse the archives.

There was a lot of discussion of ethernet cards a few years ago, when I learned to use mine. Look also for the Linux Ethernet HOWTO. There is
a list of supported cards and which modules they require. I got several hits on 'ethernet' 'howto' '3c905' with the correct module listed in the first few lines (displayed by gigablast). 3c59x works with 3c900 3c905 3c905b 3c592 3c597 etc. Which explains how its name does not match your card.

Sindi

Thanks again,
Asahel