baslinux - Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ifconfig no such device
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:25:52 +0000 (UTC)

Using /fd/3c59x.o
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_set_power_state
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_register_driver
insmod: unresolved symbol __release_region
etc.

That's a lot of unresolved symbols. Usually an
unresolved symbol arises because of a missing
helper module, but AFAIK 3c59x does not require
any helper modules.

It does not.

The large number of unresolved symbols makes me
think that something fundamental is missing.
Something like a PCI malfunction (those are all
PCI machines aren't they?). Or braindead hardware
(like a Win modem) that relies on Windows to do
a share of the processing.

Does linux work with other PCI cards on this computer?

It might be worthwhile to check the modifiable
BIOS settings to see if something is turned off
(or something unusual is turn on). BasicLinux
is pretty simple-minded and can be tripped up
by an unusual setting.

Another possibility is that the 3c59x module
is faulty. It was compiled by me, so it is
possible that I made a mistake. I have no 3com
NICS, so I have never used that module myself
(but I have used three other network modules
from the same batch that all worked fine).

Can Sindi (or anyone else) confirm that the
BL3 (2.2.26) 3c59x module actually works?

It works perfectly with my card in BL3.50 with 2.2.26 p2 kernel.
What kernel is being used on the machine that it does not work with?

Sindi

I hope we can resolve this issue for you.