baslinux - Re: [BL] bios password

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bios password
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:14:47

Hi Mikkel,

I do not know why the administrator password is not enough. Do you
get into the BIOS setup, ie. before the system loads? If not you
should try to find out which hot key to press at startup.

In case you do not have (or forgot the administrator password for
BIOS setup there are two possible solutions:

- Some vendors have general passwords, which you can find on the web

- Erase contents of the CMOS with a small program that you can find
on the web too.

I de-blocked booting floppy on my laptop with the second method. I
have no idea about the risks.

Christof

On 19 Apr 07 at 11:54, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>Hello all you clever guys
>
>I am sitting her in the middle of a "school closing an apartment" and
>we have lots of old computers that we are going to sell or give away.
>Now as I try to clean op (format) this computers i run in to problems.
>I cant get in to bios to make the computer boot from a boot floppy to
>format it. It requires a bios password and even though I have the
>administrator password for the system it won't let me in to bios. (We
>are on a windows platform.) My question really is. If I don't find out
>abut this passwords things is the whole motherboard then inaccessible
>to me? Meaning I can do nothing to the computer in terms formatting,
>or reinstalling the whole thing ore for instance install a Linux
>system?
>
>/Mikkel

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov