baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 34

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 34
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:54:50 +0000

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 02:07:14PM +1100, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:44:29 +0000 Lee Forrest
> <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 12:23:20PM +1300,
> > 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > > That's what the d command is for (as it says on the BL3
> > > splash screen).
> >
> > It's a great file browser, but when you cd to another
> > directory, and exit, you are still in the directory you
> > started in.

> > > Who recommended that you use mc?
> >
> > Not me!
>
> No, I did. It is a good way to browse your file system,
> particularly for a Linux newbie coming from DOS - which I
> did not all that long ago.

You know DOS much better than I do, but like I said in my
other post, you can learn bash/sh, the universal language of
linux/unix, in the time it takes to learn to use mc.

Mc is a very complex app.

To just browse, examine, the file tree, using links (or another
inet browser) is simpler, and that's what happens when you enter
the alias "d". Links is also an http/ftp/ browser and so you are
basically learning to do those things, too, while you browse your
files, not a bunch of specialized keyboard shortcuts that have no
bearing anywhere else (most of them).

[delete]

Lee

--