baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 29

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 29
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:29:57 +1030

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:43:02 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Nope. There are lots of packages for BL3 (both in
> the BL3 add-ons and in Slackware 4.0) that I would
> never recommend to a newbie. In fact, in my opinion,
> newbies shouldn't be worrying about add-ons until
> they come to grips with the base installation.

Yes, there is a lot of merit in that approach.

OTOH, with a newbie there is always the temptation to fly before
we can walk <GGGGGGG>

> That's what the command line is for: copy, ren, del,
> etc. I am surprised that a DOS user is trying to avoid
> using the command line.

The command line is very flexible, but can be a pain when you
have to enter the same commands over and over. So in DOS I use a
lot of other things, like menus and batch files, and several
useful utilities, DOS Commander for one.

> We aren't complaining. We are giving you advice.
> That's why you're here, isn't it, to get help for us?

I apologise. "Complaining" was probably the wrong word.

I was referring to the many times I was advised that I should not
be trying to view HTML files from within mc.

If I am to blame for starting or continuing this argument, then I
most sincerely apologise.

Can I suggest that we put it all behind us, and say no more on
this subject?

>> Although mentioning at the outset that insmod vfat
>> would be best written into /etc/rc
> Until it works, there is no point putting it in /etc/rc.
> The normal procedure is to test something to see if it
> works. Then, if it is suitable, make it part of the
> startup script.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps you should have explained
that at the outset.

In my ignorance of linux, I wasn't sure what you meant by 'insmod
vfat'. My later questions drew the answers I needed, and for that
I am grateful.

> I do not welcome observations/complaints from newbies.

Yes, I can see that.

> Perhaps when you know a bit more about Linux, I will
> be more interested in your opinions.

I can tell you are rankled by all of this.

I shall say no more.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v