baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames Take Two 33

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames Take Two 33
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:45:27 +0000

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 02:04:25PM +1100, Ron Clarke wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:36:53 +0000 Lee Forrest
> <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:

[delete]

> > can change browsers at will. You can't.
>
> Actually, yes I can. Either in Linux or in DOS.

You misunderstood me. I know that you can call an external
browser. Any browser worth using can do that.

But arachne is at the heart of your DE (desktop environment), so
you can't get rid of it.

Bash, the shell, is at the heart of my DE and if I want to make a
different browser my main one, or have several choices available,
I can reconfigure my DE in a jiff and it won't effect anything
else in my DE.

This is a much more efficient and flexible arrangement than
running a particular browser _in_ bash that is the indispensable
heart of one's DE.

There isn't anything that you can do with the arachne DE that I
can't do with my bash DE, but there are a lot of things I can do
that you can't. With no muss or fuss. My DE is controlled with
the universal sh language, directly accessing the shell, not the
(de facto) language of arachne accessing the shell through the
filter of arachne.

As you say (deleted), different stroks for different folks. There
are many who swear by emacs, too, and I can't even stand mc. That
last is such a great idea that just doesn't work in the real world.
You can learn bash in the time it takes to learn mc.

[delete]

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful