baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 29

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 29
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:43:02 +1300

Greg Mayman wrote:

> > Who recommended that you use mc?
>
> Perhaps it was the person who included it in
> the BL3 Add-ons page -- isn't that some kind of
> recommendation?

Nope. There are lots of packages for BL3 (both in
the BL3 add-ons and in Slackware 4.0) that I would
never recommend to a newbie. In fact, in my opinion,
newbies shouldn't be worrying about add-ons until
they come to grips with the base installation.

> Someone mentioned how handy it was for viewing
> directories,

The BL3 splash screen recommends d for this.

> moving stuff around and so on,

That's what the command line is for: copy, ren, del,
etc. I am surprised that a DOS user is trying to avoid
using the command line.

> And some people like to complain that I should be
> using links

We aren't complaining. We are giving you advice.
That's why you're here, isn't it, to get help for us?

> Although mentioning at the outset that insmod vfat
> would be best written into /etc/rc

Until it works, there is no point putting it in /etc/rc.
The normal procedure is to test something to see if it
works. Then, if it is suitable, make it part of the
startup script.

> That's not a complaint, just an observation...

I do not welcome observations/complaints from newbies.
Perhaps when you know a bit more about Linux, I will
be more interested in your opinions.