baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 34

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 34
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:52:37 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> Which is why I stick by my recommendation to Greg, coming
> from DOS as I did, to get used to an unfamiliar file system
> using a tool that has a comfortable familiar feel to it.

It seems to me that your "tool that has a comfortable
familiar feel" has got Greg into more trouble than it
was worth. Surely it's not too difficult for a DOS
user to cope with the BL3 commands: cd, dir, copy, del,
ren, edit. Combine those with d (to browse directories
and view files) and there is absolutely no need for the
Midnight Command package and the lynx package (particularly
when you are running BL3 on a loop file that has limited
space for add-ons).

> Command lines are also wonderfully empowering

Yes they are, and true DOS users should be very comfortable
there. However point-and-click Windows users (or dedicated
Norton Commander users, for that matter) may not be so
comfortable.

> once you have a good grasp of the file system layout

What's the problem? DOS has directories and sub-directories;
Linux has directories and sub-directories. DOS does cd
between directories; Linux does cd between directories.
DOS uses mkdir to make directories; Linux uses mkdir to
make directories.

Yes, there are some differences: DOS uses \ while Linux
uses / ; DOS puts system executables in \dos while Linux
puts them in /bin, /sbin; DOS puts startup files in the
top directory while Linux puts them in /etc. However, a
true DOS user will not find this too demanding.

> and have memorised enough commands

What's to memorize? A true DOS user will already know:
cd, dir, copy, del, ren, edit, mkdir, rmdir, more,

> AND THEIR SWITCHES to do what you want to do.

Memorize the switches? I've used Linux for ten years and
I haven't memorized the switches. That's what --help
is for (I use it several times a day). Besides, how many
DOS users have memorized all the switches for the DOS
commands? Not me. That's what /? is for.