baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 03:28:13 +0000 (UTC)

VBE version 3.0 (Intel(R) 8xx Chipset Video BIOS)
DAC is fixed, controller is VGA compatible, RAMDAC causes snow
Total memory: 512 kilobytes

It looks like Xvesa is completely unaware of agpgart
(which I suppose is not that surprising). Therefore,
if you are going to use Xvesa for X, you will be
limited to the modes it can produce. It appears
that 640x400x16 is the best it will do for you
unless Sindi can find a way for you to up the video
RAM to 1mb.

512K RAM should have produced more colors at 640x480.
But for 1MB:

HP Pavilion 800Mhz i810 video and sound

Go into CMOS setup (F1 F2 F10 or DEL? - my partner hit them all)

Phoenix BIOS

Video boot type - Onboard video 512K or 1MB

To the right it says 'select disable onboard video' but
that is not provided as an option. If you plug in a PCI video
card it disabled onboard video for you but keeps using 1MB
video RAM. Kernel 2.4.31 can handle this but for 2.2
loadlin with mem=63MB if you have 64MB onboard.

Maybe this will at least get you 640x480x24 and 800x600x16 bit color.

Our Compaq laptop would not produce more than 4 colors (not even 4-bit color) with Xvesa. You may need to change libX11 and use the svga server.

Or find a half-height video card.