baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:00:31 +0000

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 03:40:51PM -0600, James Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 12:57:34PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > That gives a little better color in the image, but no more
> > detail, and screwed up my xterms badly: Big font and the
> > bottom and left margins run beyond the screen.
> >
> > I also tried 320... and got huge font and giant image and
> > giant xterm.
> >
> > What's missing now is not really color. It's close to being
> > acceptable. It's detail - resolution (I'm trying to be
> > careful with the words I use here, because I don't know the
> > proper jargon for discussing these things).
>
> I believe the resolution to these new problems is to specify a
> different (smaller) geometry for your xterms and a smaller font
> for them (maybe 6x9 if you're using fixed fonts). The lower
> your resolution is set, the smaller your xterm geometry and
> font size must be, if I understand these things correctly. Does
> that sound worth trying?

Yes. I changed the font to that size in my ~/.Xdefaults, but it
turns out I needed a _larger_ xterm. This is with 320X200X16 set
in my /etc/Xconfig.

/usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt -ls -g 105X35 -rv -title "A" +sb -C

Just changing the font caused the xterm to shrink to match it.

My test image has quite good color, now, but I think I need
16 bit depth, rather than the 8 I have now.

Good to get more and longer lines on the screen.

Thanks, James,

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful