baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:01:20 +0000

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 03:50:28AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >> I know, that is why I use zgv instead. Or links2 graphical
> >> as a viewer xli is small.
> >
> > I've used zgv/svgalib, and they are limited and buggy in
> > the extreme (and quite large in total). There are many X
> > viewers out there and I have to run X anyway, because I
> > need an integrated windowing environment with graphical
> > capability and there is no way to view pdf files without X or
> > ghostscript, and the latter is an opaquely-complex monster.
>
> Steven compiled a links2 that runs under X and can be used as
> an image viewer.
>
> You can convert pdf files to text and/or images with pdfimages,
> pdftotext,

Needs gs. No way.

I thought you were into tiny linux, but you seem to run every
gigantic program I've ever heard of.

How much hdd space do you use?

You never post that.

> and pdftopbm (part of netpbm). Then view with zgv or
> links2 (svga-based) without X.

How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not installing
svgalib or zgv?

This would make about 6X, to date.

You can suggest it a 100 times if you want. If it makes
you feel good. If you like wasting your breath.

I'm starting to think you are trying to bully me.

Go ahead and try. Down that path lies only pain and frustration
for you.

> For BL3 I added a very minimal
> set of gs fonts

Yeh. Funny. A limited set of fonts for a gigantic application.

3.5M for just the basic package on SW4.0

> so that the last two of these would work, and
> posted the package. xpdf 3.0 requires a later libX11 than BL3
> has, and older version do not do pdf 1.5, which people started
> sending me a few years ago. The other three smaller programs
> come as part of the package. I packaged them separately.

> >> Can you set X to truecolor, maybe with lower resolution?
> >
> > Can I? Would that be in /etc/Xconfig? What syntax?
>
> 24-bit color (16M colors). Xsetup asks about color depth,
> choose the highest possible. Or edit /etc/Xconfig first line.
> Or start Xvesa CLI specifying resolution and color depth (see
> the archives for details).
>
> > The strings "True", "TRUE", or "true" don't show up in the
> > Xvesa manpage.
> >
> >> 4-bit color the default for XLI?
> >
> > I don't know.
>
> Look in Xsetup - it may be set to 4-bit color.
>
> > Lee
>
> Sindi

Thanks,

Lee