baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:06:24 +0000

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 10:52:18PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > For the first time, I attempted to view photographic images
> > of places and people with xli/Xvsesa, and was pretty
> > disappointed in the result. They were _interesting_, even
> > aesthetically appealing, but not accurate:
> >
> > ../images<#>xli -supported Image types supported: GIF Image
> > JPEG Image (JFIF format) BMP Image (RLE encoded) Photo CD
> > Image X Window Dump G3 FAX Image PC Paintbrush Image MacPaint
> > Image X Pixmap X Bitmap
> >
> > No png!
>
> I know, that is why I use zgv instead. Or links2 graphical as
> a viewer xli is small.

I've used zgv/svgalib, and they are limited and buggy in the
extreme (and quite large in total). There are many X viewers out
there and I have to run X anyway, because I need an integrated
windowing environment with graphical capability and there is no
way to view pdf files without X or ghostscript, and the latter is
an opaquely-complex monster.

> > ../images/xli monica13.jpg
> >
> > monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3
> > comps., Huffman coding Converting true color image to RGB
> > image with 16 colors...done Building XImage...done Image
> > Gamma now 1.025496 xx
>
> Can you set X to truecolor, maybe with lower resolution?

Can I? Would that be in /etc/Xconfig? What syntax?

The strings "True", "TRUE", or "true" don't show up in the
Xvesa manpage.

> 4-bit color the default for XLI?

I don't know.

> Odd. Or specify 64K colors rather than 64?

That I can try... Got vivid color in the background, but still
no flesh tones in the foreground figure at all.

Thanks,

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful