baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:52:46 +0000

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 03:13:45PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:

[delete]
> Lee Forrest wrote: Now, about your problem displaying
> images. I switched my Xvesa to 4-bit color and
> experienced problems (with xli) similar to what you have
> described. I think I may have a solution. Get and install
> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/netpbm-10.26.7.libc5.tgz.
> (1.6MB, but this method only uses about 200K of stuff from it.
> You can delete the remainder.) Then use this command sequence
> to convert your image:
>
> jpegtopnm file_name_here.jpg | ppmdither -red 2 -green 2 -blue
> 2 | \ ppmtobmp >/tmp/1.bmp xli /tmp/1.bmp
>
> The result of the above sequence was _much_ better than what
> xli alone provided, in my testing. This method uses netpbm to
> dither (reduce colors) of the image, and netpbm's dithering is
> more complex/robust than xli's.
>
> If the detail is now visible, but the colors are off, try
> starting Xvesa with the "-swaprgb" option.

I downloaded Sindi's netpbm package and followed your directions,
including starting X this time with -swaprgb. (After trying it
first without it.) It's the best result so far, but still a long
way from looking 'real'.

There's much better color, but washed out, and the whole image is
crosshatched. Like there was a window screen between it and me.
Looks pretty good from 20' away....

Now my xterms have a blue title bar instead of a red one.

Thanks to Sindi for that package and the good docs for it.

[delete]

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful