baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 03:50:28 +0000 (UTC)

I know, that is why I use zgv instead. Or links2 graphical as
a viewer xli is small.

I've used zgv/svgalib, and they are limited and buggy in the
extreme (and quite large in total). There are many X viewers out
there and I have to run X anyway, because I need an integrated
windowing environment with graphical capability and there is no
way to view pdf files without X or ghostscript, and the latter is
an opaquely-complex monster.

Steven compiled a links2 that runs under X and can be used as an image viewer.

You can convert pdf files to text and/or images with pdfimages, pdftotext, and pdftopbm (part of netpbm). Then view with zgv or links2 (svga-based) without X. For BL3 I added a very minimal set of gs fonts so that the last two of these would work, and posted the package. xpdf 3.0 requires a later libX11 than BL3 has, and older version do not do pdf 1.5, which people started sending me a few years ago. The other three smaller programs come as part of the package. I packaged them separately.

../images/xli monica13.jpg

monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3
comps., Huffman coding Converting true color image to RGB
image with 16 colors...done Building XImage...done Image
Gamma now 1.025496 xx

Can you set X to truecolor, maybe with lower resolution?

Can I? Would that be in /etc/Xconfig? What syntax?

24-bit color (16M colors). Xsetup asks about color depth, choose the highest possible. Or edit /etc/Xconfig first line. Or start Xvesa CLI specifying resolution and color depth (see the archives for details).

The strings "True", "TRUE", or "true" don't show up in the
Xvesa manpage.

4-bit color the default for XLI?

I don't know.

Look in Xsetup - it may be set to 4-bit color.

Lee