baslinux - Re: [BL] Xpdf Pdftopbm (was: Xvesa Xli Images)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xpdf Pdftopbm (was: Xvesa Xli Images)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 20:57:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Lee Forrest wrote:

On my fastest computer I have source code for two kernels,
uclibc, busybox source code, and some collections of music
(midi files, sheet music) and lots of photos. So about 1GB or
even more.

A thousand megabytes is not tiny.

I'm going to defend Sindi here (not something I normally have
to do). Kernel sources are huge (particularly 2.4 and above).

I tried to shrink the kernel by deleting /isdn and various other things for which I have no hardware, and it would not compile. I forget why. Perhaps someone can figure it out and shrink the kernel source for us.
I did delete all the other architectures but i386 successfully.

uclibc is about 100MB without source code for what you are compiling. I deleted /uclibc/root/.ccache, with a later date than the other files, about 12MB - I wonder if this gets generated every time you compile something.

Obviously you will need a thousand megabytes or more for a
proper development platform.

That does not obviate the fact that Sindi does run a minimal
Linux for her day-to-day (non-developmental) activities.

I did NOT add gs, just a set of 12 basic fonts from gs (I
could possibly have gotten them from some place else instead
but I had gs) which is needed by the pdftopbm convertor

So pdftopbm needs gs. That's not tiny.

Again I defend Sindi. She said that she does not use gs.
Yes, pdftopbm needs fonts. Yes, the place she happened to
get those fonts was from a gs package. But that does not
mean pdftopbm needs gs.

The config file I started with used gs fonts, far more of them then it ended up with.

I would be grateful if Lee and Sindi would stop this thread
(or at least take it off list). It is doing none of us any
good.

I will be happy to ignore any further posts on the subject and spend my time instead compiling USB/CDROM kernels for Christof instead, and trying to get lpr to work as 'root' so I can stop putting on 150MB of Win98 on computers for other people just to print with.