baslinux - Re: [BL] Xpdf Pdftopbm (was: Xvesa Xli Images)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xpdf Pdftopbm (was: Xvesa Xli Images)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:11:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, James Miller wrote:

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 08:57:19PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

time instead compiling USB/CDROM kernels for Christof instead, and trying
to get lpr to work as 'root' so I can stop putting on 150MB of Win98 on
computers for other people just to print with.

Thanks, will take a look. But our next computer may also need Excel and
Powerpoint, for college student. I could not find free smaller
equivalents even for windows. I think there is some Powerpoint reader
like the Wordview program.

Excel and Powerpoint and Word Viewers 97 - all about 3MB, expand to 7-9MB each. Work with Win98.

Powerpoint Viewer 2003 works with Win98 if you use the 'lastest' Installer, the link to which is broken. Excel Viewer does not work with WIn98 but if you want to use it with Win95 or Win98 you need the same installer.

It should be possible to print as 'root' with lpr (and bloated gs, perhaps
without the Chinese fonts).

I would much rather get Abiword printing with lpr, but the college students will probably need either these viewers or OpenOffice and the viewers with Win98 and a spellchecking wordpad replacement are still only under 200MB and do not need 500Mhz and 128MB RAM.

James