baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:31:51 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:03:26 -0600, James Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:44:12AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

>> Other than that, there is one heck of a lot on my machine that I
>> use regularly, and one heck of a lot more that I use just
>> occasionally. And all of it apart from a few tiny bits is
>> DOS-based.

> It sounds to me that, from this description of your needs, you'd probably
> be
> best served by
> using BL with an expanded loop file system. In other words, in place of the
> 20
> MB loop file
> the stock testing version of BL gives you, you'd create a 50 MB (or perhaps
> larger, since
> Sindi seems to be claiming it can be even 100 MB) loop file. Then you'd
> copy the
> contents of
> the stock loop file (called fs.img) to the 50 MB (or >) loop file, the
> latter of
> which would
> then become your BL system. You could almost certainly install all of the
> pre-packaged BL
> utilities in that amount of space. Depending on how much file storage
> you're
> planning to do,
> that might be as much space as you'd need.

In the interests of getting a "playable" example of an enlarged fs.img
for Greg (or anybody else) to play with, I have already made one
"pre-digested" loop fs.img of 50 MB, and put some demonstration stuff into
it. The zipped file (fs.zip) is up on my website at:
http://www.ausreg.com/files/
but be warned, it is a 28 MB download.

Regards,
Ron