baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:09:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Greg Mayman wrote:

In pppsetup I have set 0 init1 to ATZ0.

That is not necessary. eznet automatically sends ATZ.
The init1 parameter is for modems that need unusual settings.

I used it with a 56Flex pcmcia modem to disable 56Flex so that it would dial at 33K (instead of trying to connect at 56K and disconnecting) and I also use it for USR modems AT&F1 (which does not work for other modems).

I'm not sure that a partition is "so much better".
For one thing, it depends on how big you make the
partition (obviously a 15mb partition provides less
space than the 20mb loop file).

I put BL3 in a 100MB loop partition on one computer where I did not have a spare partition.

The HINTS FOR NEW USERS give you some commands.
To see all the commands that are available, look
in the executables directories.

which plus command name lets you know if/where a command exists.

If one of the subscribers to the list could imagine that
they have never used Linux before

As I said before, BasicLinux is not designed for Linux
newbies. It is not designed for idiots.

It worked for me as a newbie. But I ask lots of questions here.

Maybe it should be worded differently?

Sindi may welcome your criticisms of BasicLinux, I do not.

It would help if the criticisms came with a different attitude.
I still think it would be helpful to know what problems a complete beginner runs into despite reading the README and /etc/issue.
Then to provide solutions, maybe at the website.