baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:38:59 +1300

Greg Mayman wrote:

> In pppsetup I have set 0 init1 to ATZ0.

That is not necessary. eznet automatically sends ATZ.
The init1 parameter is for modems that need unusual settings.

> some explanation as to why the trial version overloads
> so easily

The loop version does not overload easily. It provides
20mb of space (which is much more than the ramdisk version
gives you). I am surprise that you expect to install
package after package after package and never run out of
room.

> why the version in its own partition is so much better.

I'm not sure that a partition is "so much better".
For one thing, it depends on how big you make the
partition (obviously a 15mb partition provides less
space than the 20mb loop file).

> And a list of the commands I can use with it.

The HINTS FOR NEW USERS give you some commands.
To see all the commands that are available, look
in the executables directories.

> Until someone told me, I didn't even know how to
> install any of the add-ons

It's a pity they told you -- it only got you into trouble.

Anyway, how much explanation do you need? The page where
you download the add-ons says this:
All of these files should be installed using the pkg command.
For example to install ssh: pkg ssh.tgz

> or how to try an internet connection.

pppsetup is mentioned in the HINTS FOR NEW USERS

> If one of the subscribers to the list could imagine that
> they have never used Linux before

As I said before, BasicLinux is not designed for Linux
newbies. It is not designed for idiots.

I am happy for newbies to try BasicLinux, and I do try to
help them climb the learning curve, but that is not the
purpose of BasicLinux.

> Maybe it should be worded differently?

Sindi may welcome your criticisms of BasicLinux, I do not.
Please don't waste your time making suggestions. If you
want to use BasicLinux, you are welcome to ask questions
and/or report progress. Otherwise, there is no point
your being here.