baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 05:22:25 +1300

Greg Mayman wrote:

> How about an FAQ file, if not a full doc file, for example
> Q: what is meant by the "loop" version?
> Q: what is a "splash screen"?
> and so on.

Q: what is Linux?
Q: what is the purpose of the ENTER key?
Q: how do I turn on the computer?
Q: why am I here?

> But I distinctly remember getting an error message to "man bash".

As I said before, BasicLinux does not contain bash.
Naturally "man bash" comes up empty. So does "man peanut".

> The new user is strictly on his own

Except for the README and the HINTS FOR NEW USERS.

> if he isn't a subscriber to a list that he didn't know
> he had to join

As it says: "All support for BasicLinux is now done via
the Mailing List."

> I don't want to commit it to a separate partition

That's why I provided the 20mb loop version -- for people
reluctant to commit. However, 20mb is not enough space to
add numerous add-ons. You should have checked your available
space before adding so many packages.