baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:27:43 +1030

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:25:01 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> As a resident in the South Pacific, I am well aware that
> Aussies are less evolved than their more cultured cousins
> in the Northern Hemisphere, but that's no excuse for him
> acting like a jerk.

Who is acting like a jerk now? <GGGGGGGGGG>

I shall ignore your obviously intentional provocation, and try to
give a sensible and unemotional explanation of what is happening.

The problem is that I read and answer mail OFFLINE!

Yeah, I know that is a totally unknown thing to most people, but
it is the way I work, mainly to minimize online time with my
dialup service, which could be prohibitively expensive if I did
it any other way.

This means that I may upload some messages on (say) Monday, and
at the same time download a pile of stuff, which I read and write
replies to.

Then on Thursday (say), I upload my replies and download the
incoming stuff which can include replies to the stuff I uploaded
on Monday.

Next thing, someone who doesn't understand my system complains
that he he has already answered the stuff I uploaded on Monday,
and in my messages I uploaded on Thursday I have "completely
ignored" what he wrote to me on Tuesday.

What could I do but ignore what I hadn't yet seen? It didn't get
to me until the Thursday connection, which also was when I
uploaded my replies to the Monday mail.