baslinux - Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] base64 (MIME) encoder/decoder
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:39:15 -0800

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 03:08:31PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:02:05AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >>I found source code base64-1.4.tar.gz (202K) which compiled perfectly
> >>with
> >>the compiler and glibc from SW8.1 and is at my site and also attached.
> >
> >mimencode is only 9K. As far as I know it will mimencode (and
> >decode) anything.
>
> Which program is used to shrink the size of compiled binaries? strip?
> I will check my notes.

If the executable hasn't been stripped, that would do it.

(I think that refers to debugging symbols that aren't needed
after the code is stable.)

> 9k would fit into BL3.40 better, even on 2 floppies.
> >>From the man page:
> > By default, mimencode reads standard input, and sends a
> > "base64" encoded version of the input to standard output.
>
> >That app must do a lot more than mimencode.
> It does not list anything more. Written in c - is mimencode assembler?

No. It's more like encryption.

> >>I experimented: base64 wpce.ogg - filled the screen with ascii.
> >
> >That's base64: In order to send something through the mails it has
> >to be ascii, not binary.
> >
> >Here's the above man page excerpt in base64:
> No characters except text. uuencode uses the rest of the keyboard too.
> Is this 6-bit instead of 7-bit?

Don't know.

> >#REVTQ1JJUFRJT04KICAgICAgIFRoZSBtaW1lbmNvZGUgcHJvZ3JhbSBzaW1wbHkgY29udmVy
>
> I would need to specify the file name some place too. I will look at a
> mail with mime attachment.

That's what I'd do.

[delete]
> I will provide more info later this week.

Okay.

[delete]
> >It shouldn't matter what you are using to send the mail off. Just
> >make sure it isn't piping the mail through something to alter it
> >before sending.
>
> I only have pmail.
>
> Can you write your own small mail program that authenticates, maybe using
> telnet? Does your ISP work to telnet mail?

I'd use netcat. Telnet is very hard to script with. Slow, too.
Basic authentication is simple enough. I don't know how to do
any of the fancier, 'secure', kinds, like TLS/SSL. That would be
_possible_, though.

There's a utility called 'starttls', and 'openssl'. I'm just not
familiar with them.

[delete]

Lee

--