baslinux - Re: [BL] Acronyms (was: Sindi -- Compiler)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Acronyms (was: Sindi -- Compiler)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:32:58 -0800

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 04:29:12PM +0200, Karolis Lyvens wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:29:37PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:
> > See if you can find "SW" on slackware.com. Good luck.
>
> It _is_ used in Graphics/Propaganda FAQ of slackware.com:
> http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/grfxfaq.txt
>
> The relevant part from it:
>
> --
> I am striving to make the names sensical, not repetitive, AND include
> SW, Slack, or Slackware in some way; which is why some of the names
> are changing
> --
>
> As you can see, all common names/acronyms of Slackware are listed here -
> Slackware, Slack, SW.

> And, it isn't really far from front page: Front Page --> Propaganda -->

That's purely theoretical. It's just chatter. You don't
see "SW" used throughout the site, nor on any of the other
slackware sites, like http://slackworld.berlios.de/,
http://www.slackbasics.org/. (Nor in the slackware book that's
made available there), http://slackbuilds.org/. Or
related sites like http://slax.linux-live.org/.

And it isn't used on the usenet newsgroup. It isn't used on
the FTP mirrors nor in the docs found there.

I have a big collection of slackware docs (120M), and "SW"
only appears as a part of the words SWAP; $SWAPFILE, SWAPON,
PASSWORD, etc., anywhere in it.

If you want to use it, go ahead. I don't care, now that I know
what it means. But _I'm_ not going to use it.

And it isn't _common_. Not even close.

Lee