baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS vs. BL (was: Udhcpc [delete])

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS vs. BL (was: Udhcpc [delete])
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:47:48 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

1. DOS is small and fast.

It is smaller than Linux, for sure. Also supports 16-bit CPUs.

I can boot and be online with Kermit at a
local bbs in about a minute.

Linux does not take very long to boot for me - maybe a second or two
for the kernel, and then a few seconds for a tiny init and e2fsck
sequence. Doesn't kermit take the same time on both OSes?

2. I can print my email from my shell account with DOS - never figured
out how with linux.

Your shell account uses ANSI printing sequences. (I actually
discovered this earlier but forgot about it until now.) PuTTY is a
Linux telnet/ssh client that understands those codes, at least
according to this:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.58/htmldoc/Chapter4.html#config-printing

A while ago, you said that lpd or lpr will not print as 'user' in BL2;
I think the problem there is that it _is_ accessing some file which
user does not have permissions for. A way around this would be to set
everything in the root filesystem with full permissions (using a find
script), which should cause it to start working, and then experiment
with the permission settings as desired until it works correctly (i.e.
without giving 'user' too many permissions if you want it to be a
locked-down user).

David