baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:13:44 +0000 (UTC)

How much memory in the computer? You need 12mb of working RAM
to boot the floppy version of BL3. Note: just because DOS shows
12mb RAM doesn't mean all of it actually works. I recommend
testing your RAM with memtest (a free utility).

You download it from the internet and it comes with a program to install itself to a bootable floppy disk (which does not need to be perfect and can be 720K or probably even 360K if you switch the floppy drive cables back again. Reboot the computer with the floppy disk in it.

When the computer is booting it should check memory and tell you how much it has. 486s often have only 8MB or even only 4MB, or 2MB.

If RAM is not the problem, then your floppy is probably faulty.
The raw copy on the first floppy must be 100% perfect, but a lot
of floppies these days are not 100% perfect.

In DOS (or a DOS box in Windows) type format a: and then ENTER to start formatting. At the end hit ENTER again and it will tell you how much is bad. If bad, try another disk. About 90% of our disks have bad sectors, or if they don't, they will in a month or two.