baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:58:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Fephisto III wrote:

I'm trying to install via FD boot. However, it boots with
the 5.25 inch FD drive, not the normal ~3 inch FD drive,
and nothing in the BIOS as far as I see allows me to change
the boot drive

You could open up the computer and switch the connectors on
the two floppy drives.

It is safest to unplug the power first.

Help?

Have you got DOS on the C: drive? If so, you could use
the DOS version of BasicLinux. If you need to use floppies
to get the zip file into the computer, you can split it into
floppy-size pieces, copy them into C:\BASLIN, and reassemble
them.

I think there is some way to do that just with the utilities that come with DOS, I can ask my partner.

Or you could get the file into the computer by using a serial
null-modem (laplink) cable and the DOS INTERLNK/INTERSVR utility.
Sindi can give you instructions for making a suitable cable out
of two broken mice.

They have to be serial mice, of course. You need to solder the plug end of one onto the whole (unbroken) tail of the other one and the pinouts are probably online some place. This has too few wires to work as a nullmodem cables but works for file transfer.

If you have a modem (external or internal) and dialing software you can download to the computer from the internet.