baslinux - Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless<blah>)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:23:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:30:03PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

A friend just paid $50 for a laptop for his 9 year old and wondered if it
were new enough to do email! I promised him a 28.8K modem and BL3. He
wants to be sure she cannot view porn, so we could put on a text only
browser and maybe webmail, unless Lee wants to set up a script even a 9
year old can use for POP mail. We also have 60 DOS games that teach you
to type and add etc.

He is coming by in three days to work on it with us. I asked him what software is on it now. If it has XP, is there some easy way to add BL3? I used qemu in BL to run DOS (badly) - would I use qemu to run BL in XP?

If it has ME I can run loop linux. If it has 2000 we have the CD so I can risk shrinking it, but how do I shrink an NTFS file system?

A script for retrieving mail from a popserver with basic authentication
(no SSL/TLS, etc.) is easy enough. Append each mail to an mbox.

A 3-year old could use it. After filling in the variable
arguments at the top of the script (server name, user name, password),
it would just be a matter of aliasing the script to "fm" (for fetchmail)
It would use netcat.
But what mail client are you going to use? Seems like mail/mailx
(50K or so) would be a good choice. But it's pretty basic. It
won't handle MIME or attachments or anything like that. Not
without some serious help.

I don't know if people will be sending photos to the 9 year old. She probably won't be attaching things for a while. Sylpheed sounds easier. With Xvesa or VGA X server.

I guess you could use that SMTP script of mine to send the mail off
to their ISP's MTA, if only basic authentication is required.
(often, none is)

I don't know sylpheed, but if it does everyhing above, and can
deal with attachments and such, it is a better choice.

Lee