baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:41:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Samual Acorn wrote:

why kill perfectly good serial mice? they are getting to be a bit of a
rare breed... radioshack has both serial (null modem) and parallel
(laplink) cables already cooked up... and trust me... the parallel
approach is a whole lot faster than the serial port could ever
dream...

We have a drawer full of them. They were being thrown out.

O'Reilly Running Linux shows the pinout for a nullmodem cable, which you can also make from a modem cable by resoldering some pins. You only need 9 of the pins but can use a 25-pin cable (which would let you use a parallel extension cable plugged into the 25-pin type of serial port).

Radio Shack probably charges $20 for their premade cables.

theres a program called 'hjsplit' (look in the 'garbo pc' archives)
that will be usefull if you wish to take the floppy copy approach...

Also rzsplit for DOS. Steven used to provide a 'split.exe' which I found more confusing to use.

Or you could get the file into the computer by using a serial
null-modem (laplink) cable and the DOS INTERLNK/INTERSVR utility.
Sindi can give you instructions for making a suitable cable out
of two broken mice.