baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:20:01 +1300

Fephisto III wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions, but I don't think any networking
> solution will work: I don't have a TCP/IP protocol on it,

You don't need TCP/IP. All you need is DOS on both computers
(even from a DOS floppy) and a serial or parallel laplink-type
cable.

> The magical words LILO spelled itself out and it started out O.K.,
> but then the installation stopped at the message, "Image found at 0"
> or something like that

It usually helps to diagnose the problem if you make note
of the exact error message.

> I waited a bit, but no action was coming from the computer, no
> green LEDs, turbo button didn't do anything either.

How much memory in the computer? You need 12mb of working RAM
to boot the floppy version of BL3. Note: just because DOS shows
12mb RAM doesn't mean all of it actually works. I recommend
testing your RAM with memtest (a free utility).

If RAM is not the problem, then your floppy is probably faulty.
The raw copy on the first floppy must be 100% perfect, but a lot
of floppies these days are not 100% perfect.