baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiler Woes Ended - Postscript

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiler Woes Ended - Postscript
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:17:31 -0800

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 11:41:53PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:
> (on my debian box)
>
> Turns out that all I needed to do was update binutils.

Specifically, ld, which, the person advising me said, must be
updated when the base libs are.

<quote>
NAME
ld - Using LD, the GNU linker

SYNOPSIS
ld [options] objfile ...

DESCRIPTION
ld combines a number of object and archive files, relo
cates their data and ties up symbol references. Usually
the last step in compiling a program is to run ld.

ld accepts Linker Command Language files written in a
superset of AT&T's Link Editor Command Language syntax, to
provide explicit and total control over the linking pro
cess.

</quote>

Seems to be right. I don't remember updating my baselibs before
the compiler quit working, but it could have happenned. Apt-get
(the debian package manager) is very complex and presumes to do
all sorts of things you don't specifically call for, and you have
to watch it carefully.

I like the way packages are handled on BL. Takes more work in
the short run, but less in the long run. And there's a lot more
control. I'll log everything and keep notes, in a compressed
file or tarball.