baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:19:12 -0800

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:40:14PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > When there's a fan involved, that's probably true. But
> > this unit has no fan for the CPU.
>
> Are you sure the fan on the power supply isn't
> designed to pull air through the case?

It does, but most of the CPU/heat sink is covered by a cowling,
so having the cover off is probably slightly better than having
it on. There isn't much space in there.

Been running it like this for 5 years. Since I first got it. I
like studying the top of the MoBo sometimes, puzzling over what's
what. I took a lot of electronics in college.

The most strain, by far, I ever put on the CPU, is occassionally
compiling a kernel, and even that isn't much for a machine with
128 RAM and 128 swap that runs at a 1000M. It doesn't even use
all the RAM during the process. I do all sorts of other stuff
while the kernel image is being built, and don't notice any
slowness.

Good point, though. Each individual setup should be examined
carefully.

--------

Gotta get ta woik. Have a good day. I should be back on the net
in the early afternoon.

Lee