baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:48:03 +0000 (UTC)

The rest of us are also learning from your experiences, tho I
can't follow half of it.

Well, I can't follow all that wireless PCMCIA stuff either, though
I read it carefully and wish I could help.

It appears that only Steven himself has every tried this in BL (and the guy who did everything right, in 2004, but it did not work anyway).
I try to post enough details that it will be useful to random people searching on the topic.

I learned I don't want a USB computer with half-height slots.

Indeed. Although it has been a very dependable machine. The only
thing I have had to do is recently replace the power supply
because the fan went bad.

My partner just replaces the fan, not the power supply. We have lots of extra fans from old power supplies that he solders in place. Much cheaper and less wasteful of resources.

Most people would replace the computer if the fan went bad, along with with Windows, or replace it all if the drive filled up.

Our best laptop came to us with a dead drive (and some other problems that did not bother them in BIOS).

(The CPU is passively cooled, so I keep the cover off and just
rest an open manila folder on the top to keep the dust out.)

We never had any overheating problems with enclosed Gateways. They are designed to route the coolest air past the cpu, I think.

Did Debian ever compile anything for you?

Oh yes. I built many different 2.4.19 kernels with it.
Using the same sources.

So it should be easy for you to build another on David M's model config.
I asked him to help determine why my kernels never work with udhcpc but his and Steven's do. Might be something simple like CONFIG_UDHCPC=&

That's why its failure now so baffling.
But easily fixed. Congrats on everything working now, or nearly so.

I just got Win98 networked to BL2 and I can telnet from Windows to use linux programs as user, with ability to save files in /. Exciting.

Lee