baslinux - Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless <blah>)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486 Laptops/Gmail on BL (was: USB modem and wireless <blah>)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:20:38 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, '486, 75 MHz, 16 MB RAM,

Great machine. I've got two of those.

> but without a network card.

Old PCMCIA network cards are cheap. The wide ones (with
both BNC and UTP sockets) regularly sell for less than $5
(including dongle). I've got three (one cost me just $1)
and they all work great with the built-in PCMCIA driver
in BL3.

> I have run it with a dial-up account using a serial modem

External or PCMCIA? Old PCMCIA modems (33.6 or slower)
are also available for less than $5. I've got three 33.6
and one 28.8 and they all work great with the built-in
PCMCIA driver in BL3.

> It is a bit slow, but it runs OK on just a few colours.

I used my 75MHz Toshiba for presentations (before I got
my 100MHz laptop) and MagicPoint worked fine on it. Big
line graphs (jpg) took a few seconds to come up, but simple
bar graphs and text were displayed smoothly.

I still use my 75MHz Toshiba as an Xterminal, networked to
my main desktop computer (350MHz). Heavy-duty X applications
run well on the Toshiba (even when another user is running a
different heavy-duty application on the desktop).