baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (ff)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (ff)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:30:33 -0800

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:26:56PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

[delete]
> USB to Serial Adaptor, sold online for $20,

Where? I couldn't find one for less than $90.

http://www.digistoreonline.com/product.asp?sku=1890191&srccode=cii_13436903&cpncode=07-8742158

> plugs into the USB port and provides a serial port.

That would do the trick.

> (We have something similar for USB to PS/2 and
> for PS/2 to serial, to let us use older mice). The software might be
> easier to set up than for your screwy PCI serial card.

It, and every low-profile, 3.3V PCI RS232, single-port card I have
been able to find says it will only work with 2.4+ kernels.

> The Handspring Visor is a PDA that comes with either serial or USB cradle.
> Is a $20 USB to serial adaptor cheaper than a USB PDA cradle?

Don't know.

> BL3 does not (yet) come with ttyUSB devices, though it works fine with
> them, so make at least two. The 'big' 2.2.26 kernel either includes or
> lets you insmod usb_serial. (2.4.31 won't insmod it, buggy).
>
> The Linux USB sub-system

Thanks for info. If I can get a $20 usb-serial adaptor, I'll go
that route for now. If I have to spend $90 I'll just start buying
up 486's wherever I can find them.

Off to Goodwill with BL in my pocket...

I really need to know more about hardware, anyway.

Lee