baslinux - [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Re: Development Tools for BL (4)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Re: Development Tools for BL (4)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:13:08 +0000 (UTC)

Us stone-age linux folks just have to accept that there are some
hardware and applications we can't run, right?

Lee

I have found a workaround for many pieces of hardware, but some winmodems are impossible (without some Windows emulator) and some printers not worth the effort (CUPS) and I gave up on cardbus PCMCIA.

Why do you need a serial driver, for a modem?

Our friend whose Gateways Essential we repaired (bad capacitors) got a USB modem (his onboard winmodem got fried when the caps went bad) instead of the special half-height modem card. He said it worked much faster on his bad phone line than the old modem.

You can use USB modems in linux with acm.o and /dev/ttyACM0, according to a website (search google/linux for USB modem). The modules for 'big' BL3 2.2.26 kernel include acm.o, so the kernel must have been compiled to accept it. David Moberg's 2.4.31 kernel modules include acm.o .

We also have two PCMCIA controllers for ISA slots, and two non-USB PCMCIA wireless cards, but my fastest computer has no ISA slots.

We were loaned a USB PCMCIA wireless card that is linux-compatible ('Lucent Orinoco USB Client Silver Contains Transmitter'). If you pry open the case, you can take out a Lucent pcmcia wireless card from a greenboard with USB port in it. (I don't see a transmitter).

USB-W
P/N: 015056/A FCC ID: IMRWLPCE24H

The site which discusses Lucent Orinoco USB silver and gold Client is
br-linux.org/tutoriais/0012101.html.

Download (kernel module source code?)

http://www.sabbath.com.br/files/wireless/orinoco-usb-0.2.2.tar.bz2

Something about copying a DRIVER DO WINDOWS
cp AV_WINXP_PC_USB_SR0201.zip orinoco-usb-0.2.2/firmware/
(Use the Windows XP driver via Windows emulation?)

or else (?) compiling the driver (as a module?)

bunzip (descompacte o driver) and tar xvf
configure make make install make load

#tail -f /var/log/messages - to display results?

After compiling the module I presume you insmod it then they suggest:

# iwconfig wlan0 ESSID "string fornecida pelo provedor"
(string provided by the ISP - or the public library to use their wireless)

# iwconfig wlan0 nick "nickname da sua maquina, geralmete usa-se o hostname" (the hostname of your computer)

I am not trying to set up a LAN, just receive a wireless signal.

# ifconfig wlan0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# route del default
# route add default gw yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (IP number of the gateway to which you are connecting)

This looks like what I did to my computer that was not dialed in, to
share a dialup connection with the 'gateway' computer, via ethernet.
I need to ask my neighbor for the yyy number.

They also put the ISP's nameservers into resolv.conf .

Did I correctly understand/translate the above?

This gadget could be moved between computers (we have three here) rather than running ethernet cables around underfoot.

First I should try a regular PCMCIA card in a laptop computer.