baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (c)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (c)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:59:59 -0800

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:28:10AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
[delete]
> I set up our USB pda with /dev/ttyUSB) and 1. BL does not do devfs, which
> is a different system. For a modem you would probably want /dev/ttyACM0
>
> >Could I just use a USB serial port with some kind of adaptor?
>
> I used the same software with serial and USB modems except for making the
> USB devices and insmodding usb_serial.o, which will not insmod in kernel
> 2.4.31 but will in 2.2.26. I posted to the list how to do USB pda.

I'll be studying that thread. Thanks.

[delete]
> Is there a USB serial port?

I have USB ports all over the box. Is a USB _serial_ port something
special? Thought that was just a device file.

If it is _another_ special piece of hardware, on top of the USB modem,
maybe I just ought to use 2.4.19 for BL:

748K bzimage.big # big BL kernel
732K vmlinuz-2.4.19

And that 2.4.19 could be trimmed down a _lot_. Then I could use
the serial card I have.

Any caveats, Steven?

> We were just given a full-height PCI serial card but hope never to need
> it. It came with Windows drivers.

Blech.

> Wish me luck with wireless pcmcia.

May the pcmcia gods and godesses smile upon your endeavors.

PCMCIA = People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

;-)

Lee