baslinux - Re: [BL] USB Serial Modems/Driver Source Script (was: Development Tools for BL)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB Serial Modems/Driver Source Script (was: Development Tools for BL)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:48:38 -0800

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:31:10AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:

[delete]
> What does install-in-kernel do? Does it add software to kernel source
> code that you can then compile into the kernel (or as module?).

Yes. It's a shell script. Here's the relevant part:

install_file serial.c $ARG/drivers/char
install_file serial_compat.h $ARG/drivers/char

install_file serial.h $ARG/include/linux
install_file serial_reg.h $ARG/include/linux
install_file serialP.h $ARG/include/linux
install_file circ_buf.h $ARG/include/linux

install_file i386_serial.h $ARG/include/asm-i386 serial.h

"install_file" is a function that does the obvious with a few
checks (like making sure the file isn't already there) and "$ARG"
is the directory where the kernel sources are, the default being
/usr/src/linux.

> >I'll pursue the USB modem solution suggested by Sindi.
> >
> >Lee
>
> I am very interested in your results. In theory it should work with BL3
> 2.2.26 'big' kernel and usb_serial.o, since our USB pda did (the same pda
> works with serial or usb cradle so the usb model must contain some sort of
> adaptor).

> Make sure you get something supported by linux this time!

G-r-r-r-r-r-r. That serial card works _fine_ on my debian. I'm
using it right now!

I'm sure you will be kept informed of my progress by an endless series
of questions!

(and don't think there is any danger of it not working)

Speaking of which, do you have any idea what usb serial modem your
friend used? My favorite local parts person has this one:

DIAMOND SupraMax SM56USBSL 56Kbps USB External Modem

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825116107

(There aren't any more details on the manufacturer's page.)

But it doesn't look promising. Here's a comment from a Linux
runner on that page:

Comments: I got it for some linux support but found out that this
is SupraMax 56K USB Model SUP2920, Rockwell HCF chipset, not the
SupraMax 56K USB Model SUP2890, Lucent Pegasus chipset. the later
od the two is supported, unfortunately not the one I recieved.

/quote

On another site someone commented that it "sucked on 64-bit OSs".
Do I have a 64-bit OS?

Lee