baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (c)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (c)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:26:56 +0000 (UTC)

I set up our USB pda with /dev/ttyUSB) and 1. BL does not do devfs, which
is a different system. For a modem you would probably want /dev/ttyACM0

Could I just use a USB serial port with some kind of adaptor?

I used the same software with serial and USB modems except for making the
USB devices and insmodding usb_serial.o, which will not insmod in kernel
2.4.31 but will in 2.2.26. I posted to the list how to do USB pda.

I'll be studying that thread. Thanks.

[delete]
Is there a USB serial port?

I have USB ports all over the box. Is a USB _serial_ port something
special? Thought that was just a device file.

If it is _another_ special piece of hardware, on top of the USB modem,
maybe I just ought to use 2.4.19 for BL:

USB to Serial Adaptor, sold online for $20, plugs into the USB port and provides a serial port. (We have something similar for USB to PS/2 and for PS/2 to serial, to let us use older mice). The software might be easier to set up than for your screwy PCI serial card.

The Handspring Visor is a PDA that comes with either serial or USB cradle.
Is a $20 USB to serial adaptor cheaper than a USB PDA cradle?

BL3 does not (yet) come with ttyUSB devices, though it works fine with them, so make at least two. The 'big' 2.2.26 kernel either includes or lets you insmod usb_serial. (2.4.31 won't insmod it, buggy).

The Linux USB sub-system

USB Serial Converter support

This serial driver supports a wide range of USB to serial adapters. It
also allows communication with the Handspring Visor. You need to turn
on USB Serial Converter support, and then select whichever of the

[Is this in the 2.2.26 big kernel?]

various particular drivers you need. The Generic Serial Driver can be
used with a wide range of converters, by specifying the vendor and
product ID codes when you load the USB serial converter module: insmod
usb-serial.o vendor=0xVVVV product-0xPPPP, where you need to change
the VVVV and PPPP to match your device.

The serial port driver uses a major number of 188. Up to sixteen
serial ports are supported. To create the appropriate device entries,
use the following commands:

mknod /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
mknod /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
[etc. if you have more than 2 USB ports to convert to serial use]

You should now be able to plug in a serial device into the adapter,
and use the /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 just as if it were a normal serial port.

1. http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/book1.html