baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:52:23 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> It worked with the big kernel.
> mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ mnt

That should be: mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ /mnt

> Mounted it on /mnt of 192.168.1.2 (computer on right
> can how read files from computer on left).

It can also write files (if you put rw in /etc/exports).

> Should I be able to mount BL2 from one computer on BL3
> of another computer?

Yes, it doesn't matter which version of Linux is running
the NFS server. Or Unix for that matter.

> I have not tried yet to run programs from the other computer.

Executing should work (you'll probably need the full path name).

> Can this sort of setup be used to share a dialup connection
> the way the serial/telnet network could?

No. All you get from the NFS server is the specified
filesystem.

> do we need a firewall or something?

A firewall (with ip maskerading) is the usual way
of sharing an internet connection (gateway).

> What do I need to add to my 2.4.31 kernel to avoid using
> sunrpc, lockd, and nfs, in case they won't insmod there
> either?

CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y