baslinux - Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:59:25 +0000 (UTC)

cat /proc/sound? No such device or filename.
Was I supposed to load rosegarden first?

No. Just activate sound (insmod sound, etc.)

This time it worked (kernel 2.2.16 - I had been using 2.4.31 and sb_lib)

cat /proc/sound or cat /dev/sndstat:

Audio devices:
0 - AWE32-0.4.3 (RAM 512K)
1 - Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0 - Loopback MIDI Port 1 (what is this?)
1 - Loopback MIDI Port 2
2 - AWE Midi emu
3 - Sound Blaster 16 (the midi port to the piano)

Timers: ....

I insmod AWE and OPL3 before SB. If I rmmod AWE SB16 is still device 3.

playmidi -e D0 or D1 - silence (loopback)
-e D2 - AWE
-e D3 - piano (external)
-e - piano

Apparently the last device whose driver is insmodded is the default.

If awe_wave was the last, then playmidi -e plays to AWE.

v_midi.o puts in the two loopback devices. MIDI loopback device driver.

If I remark it out of my sb-on script, I can play external midi:
playmidi -e D1 (D0 is AWE)
but --
playmidi -e write /dev/sequencer: No such device or address

With v_midi inserted before sb, and sb inserted last,
playmidi -e plays to the piano (external midi). I just reconfirmed.

What is a MIDI loopback device? It does not seem to be required unless you want to leave out the device name.

Samuel, could you take a look at the midish package at my site? It is supposed to record from command line. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl

It is a blasted nuisance using Rosegarden with a mouse. I have to aim the dratted thing at least three times to even exit. I don't normally use any other programs that require it - Opera works via keyboard. Rosegarden has absolutely no keyboard support that I could find (except to enter file names). I have no space for a mouse pad at the piano and have been using the creature with two hands, then I need to find a place to store it after starting the record process, which introduces lots of silence. X may be needed for the notation part of Rosegarden but should not be needed to choose 'record', 'play', 'stop' and 'save'. And it wants higher resolution that my piano-top-sized 9" mono VGA provides.

Thanks to everyone for getting my new 1986 toy working.