baslinux - Re: [BL] Playing and recording external midi without X

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Playing and recording external midi without X
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:56:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Samual Acorn wrote:

On 27/06/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
Could one write a simple script to send input from the external midi
device to a file, then stop sending when you hit Ctrl-C?

I found something for /dev/audio and .au:

dd bs=8k count=4 < /dev/audio > sample.au record

cat sample.au > /dev/audio playback

I think this records 32K of sound from /dev/audio - would that be
line out from the sound card?

depends on what you told /dev/audio to do.... but at its default it
will record from line in at 8khz 8bit.... if dding from /dev/audio
even works.... (you would have to tell it to record in the first
place)

How does one tell a device to record other than as above?

What do I call my external midi device, /dev/midi00 ?

/dev/sequencer ... like all the rest of the devices... messages are
sent to the kernel to tell it which device to use -then- the data is
sent/recieved...

Could I cat midifile.mid > /dev/sequencer
and know that the external device was the sequencer? (If I don't insmod opl3 and awe_wave would sb have to be it?).

even if you could capture the data being sent by the keyboard to a
file it wouldnt be in any usable format...

Even with the correct drivers loaded? How do the midi programs send and receive midi data?

my suggestion; get a shelf with enough room for a 14inch monitor and a
mouse, put it near the keyboard, and stick with rosegarden....

There is no room, the piano is against a wall with just enough space on top for the 9" monitor which is unusual in doing 800x600. I have an extra trackball, I just hate mice. We have laptops that also do 800x600 but not with sb, some mixture of two systems for play and record.

I object to having to aim the mouse several times whenever I want to give one simple command. Typing is much faster and easier.