baslinux - Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:09:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Samual Acorn wrote:

sindi you're not going to believe this....

try this; 'playmidi -e -D0 midifile.mid'

Using playmidi-2.4 for libc6 or 2.5 for libc5:

Playmidi -e and -a play AWE.

Playmidi -D0 or -D1 or -D2 (no -e) play as FM synth.

Playmidi -e -D0 and -D1 play nothing.
Playmidi -e -D2 plays to the piano So my external device is -D2.

Playmidi -4 = opl3
Playmidi -a = awe

apparently when you specify an external device to play to you also
need to tell it to play to that external device.... figured specifing
a device would be common sense that i wanted it to play to that
device.... IMHO if the programmer wanted to take that confusing route
it would have been nice if he would have put it in the manual... but
the '-D' option isnt even -in- the manual... ugh...
It is mentioned in QuickStart, but -e is probably not.

According to the man page, external is supposed to be default 'as distributed'.

The libc6 BL2 (2.5) version at my site was converted from an RPM. If I don't specify device with -4 -a or -e -D2 it does not play anything.

I compiled the libc5 BL3 (2.4) version at my site with awe as default. 'playmidi filename.mid' plays to awe as expected.

I can now choose between playing midis on harpsichord or organ using FM or AWE synthesis (as specified by whoever put together the midi, or changed with -p and the number for harpsichord or organ found by playmidi -I) or on my external device with a better set of piano sounds.

Onward to recording midis.

now for the menus in rosegarden.... rather than click once to get them
to come down click and hold.... drag the mouse down the menu to the
item you want to select and then to select that item let the mouse
button go...

I will attempt this again after putting Rosegarden on the music computer It does not work with Xvesa unless I bypass startup files (himem.sys interferes with Xvesa - illegal instruction - even when running DOS 7.1), and in BL3 the S3 server (and a Trio32 or 64 card, or svga server with S3 or trident) displays black text on black background (in Opera, anyway)).

My options are to give up on BL3 and use BL2 and S3 server, or to bypass startup files but run CTCM from the command line to set the sound properly in DOS (or use isapnp in linux) and use Xvesa. Or to change computers.

I tried another computer with SB32 card (and working Xvesa with himem.sys) but mpu401 is disabled (maybe by jumper, have to open it up and look).
SB16 diagnose says so, and none of the mpu addresses work with sb.o

tell me if the playmidi example above works cos rosegarden doesnt do a
very good job on importing midi files... but for composing it will
work well... point and click sheet music editor and midi recorder...

Works but with -D2 not -D0. Are the devices listed somewhere?