baslinux - [BL] Playing and recording external midi without X

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Playing and recording external midi without X
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:59:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

cat /proc/sound? No such device or filename.
Was I supposed to load rosegarden first?

No. Just activate sound (insmod sound, etc.)

This time it worked (kernel 2.2.16 - I had been using 2.4.31 and sb_lib)

With kernel 2.4.31 I still get 'no such device or filename' for both.

cat /proc/sound or cat /dev/sndstat:

Samuel, could you take a look at the midish package at my site? It is
supposed to record from command line. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl

midish-bl2.tgz

It was very easy to compile (except rmidish front-end did not compile).

Midish comes with smfplay and smfrecord, which are simple scripts that do some basic jobs. Use the full midish for fancier things.

smfplay -x -d mididevice filename.mid should play to external device.

The man page for midish says the device is /dev/rmidiN

I can mknod /dev/rmidi c 35 64

(or make rmidi0 and link rmidi to it) but how do I link /dev/rmidi to my actual midi device, i. e., what is my actual midi device (/dev/? ).

-d /dev/sequencer or /dev/midi00 do not work.

I found an 'rmidi' midi player for ALSA. Do I need ALSA to use midish?

Could one write a simple script to send input from the external midi device to a file, then stop sending when you hit Ctrl-C?

This should not be much harder than double-sided printing or playing streaming audio with mpg123.