baslinux - Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 04:00:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Where would I get a different version?

You could try one from Slackware 3.

Both the svga and the s3 X servers in SW4.0 have the same problem.
With trident and S3 cards, several cards, two different computers.
Would someone have ADDED a bug to both in SW4.0 if it worked in SW3?

If I have libc6 from SW71 installed will the SW71 S3
server work in BL3?

Perhaps. It's worth a try.

Unless the X servers also require a particular libX11.
It won't take very long to test this. I could probably even temporarily symlink X to the S3 server in the BL2 partition.

I am using the Chinese DOS 7.1, which has not caused problems
with Xvesa on any other computer we tried it on (about 20-30
of them), just on this one computer.

Obviously a hardware issue.

Then I would need to use isapnp to set the sound parameters.

Why do you need to set the sound parameters at boot?
Clash with your network card?

I want to set them in DOS before booting linux with loadlin instead of bothering with isapnp. And I want to be able to use DOS midi programs too.

cat /proc/sound? No such device or filename.
Was I supposed to load rosegarden first?

No. Just activate sound (insmod sound, etc.)

I did that and could not find a /proc/sound.

/proc/sound appears when you do: insmod sound
(you need to insmod soundcore first).

/proc/sound disappears when you do: rmmod sound

I will look again for it on this and some other computer. This computer is probably not screwy enough to lose /proc/sound, but when I play AWE midi in DOS with the SB16 diagnose program (the test file) the screen goes blank and I have to reboot to get back video. This happened 3 times in a row. I forgot to check with some other AWE player for this.